Monday, March 21, 2011

Modular Madness

I started and finished this project from sheer frustration. First off you wouldn't think gathering a bunch of cd's would be that difficult but it seems most people like to horde their cd's. Using the cd's for the project proved to be a huge challenge as far as composition. They like to snap apart and don't like to stick together.

I began trying to simply melting the cd's together using a heat gun, this took FOREVER and they did not bond well at all. So then I tried to up the power and invested in a torch. While that greatly increased time efficiency it didnt much help them bond any better. SO then I resorted to using the torch for simply bending the cd's and used a hot glue gun for sticking the damn things together and even that didnt work all that well.

The design was influenced by a past experience wit ecstasy and a couple other drugs in a trip I had at a club on atlantic beach. I had taken far more than I should have to maintain any social ability but the experience was none the less amazing. In a lounge area I stared at the reflective surface of a wall and saw the sound coming from them. The wall turned to liquid and its texture was just as intriguing. I saw geometric shapes protruding from the wall as well as the trip continued.

I made an attempt to capture this experience in my piece and felt I did a pretty good job at it with the amount of material I had to work with. Though if I had a better budget and thus more materials I could have done a much better job i feel. None the less my presentation earned me some points.

No comments:

Post a Comment